Monday, October 10, 2011

Marking Time #4: Texas School Book Depository Building

Today's "Marking Time" entry takes us to downtown Dallas and the former Texas School Book Depository Building, the site of the assassination of JFK.

The location now houses the "6th Floor Museum" and chronicle's the life and death of President Kennedy.

The Historical Marker reads:

This site was originally owned by John Neely Bryan, the founder of Dallas. During the 1880s French native Maxime Guillot operated a wagon shop here. In 1894 the land was purchased by Phil L. Mitchell, president and director of the Rock Island Plow Company of Illinois. An office building for the firm's Texas division, known as the Southern Rock Island Plow Company, was completed here four years later. In 1901 the five-story structure was destroyed by fire. That same year, under supervision of the company vice president and general manager F. B. Jones, work was completed on this structure. Built to resemble the earlier edifice, it features characteristics of the commercial Romanesque Revival style.
In 1937 the Carraway Byrd Corporation purchased the property. Later, under the direction of D. H. Byrd, the building was leased to a variety of businesses, including the Texas School Book Depository.
On November 22, 1963, the building gained national notoriety when Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly shot and killed President John F. Kennedy from a sixth floor window as the presidential motorcade passed the site.

The area is a part of Dealey Plaza and contains a statue of George Dealey, former publisher of the Dallas Morning News.

No comments: